Friday, April 15, 2011

Money Saving Mode: Call Your Cable Provider

It's been 6 months since I called and asked for a lower rate on our cable bill and was given a 50% discount on our internet rate.  So today I called again and asked if there was any way to lower my bill. The CS's initial response was that there wasn't anything she could see. I made the point of asking if there were any special promos available.  After looking a bit she found that she could give me a discounted rate on my cable plan, cutting it in half for 6 months!

Cable is so freakin' expensive!  It amazes me now when I think about the things that we don't really need but that we CHOOSE to spend money on.  While I couldn't do without high speed internet (I do work online from home), we could live without cable.  I've posted before about how we've considered dropping cable TV and going for other options like Hulu and Netflix.  We are using Netflix more and more to watch older TV shows, and I still haven't tried the Hulu Plus (which offers a free week trial).  I've been using Hulu on my computer to watch Biggest Loser while I work out, even though I record it on my DVR.  Since there are fewer commercials on Hulu, I get more show for the time.

If you haven't called and asked for a lower rate on your cable bill lately, now is the time to do it.  Don't forget to set yourself a reminder to do it again every 6 months (if you get a deal, or monthly until you get a deal).

No comments:

Post a Comment