With wedding season upon us, that can mean lots of gifts to buy, and those gifts can really add up. I thought I would share my thoughts on wedding gift ideas that won't break your budget.
1. HousewaresDeals.com - keep an eye on this daily deal site as they often have houseware items that would make great gifts. You can check their "upcoming deals" to know what deals to expect in the next week. You'll find anything from entire sets of cutlery, china, spice racks and other specialty gift ideas.
2. Shop Their Registry - Just because they registered at a particular store, doesn't mean you have to buy it there. Most stores now have their registries available online, look up the couple's registry then shop the items online to find a better deal.
3. Get Creative - Whether a couple has been on their own for a while or not, if they are moving into a new home they will need all the cleaning basics in one accessible place. Start with finding a good deal on a laundry basket, hamper or trash can. Then fill it with basic cleaning essentials that they will want as they get moved into their new home, a broom, window cleaner, floor cleaner, oven cleaner, a swiffer duster, etc. Most of these items you have coupons for already and can get a good deal on, or....
4. Use Your Stockpile - chances are you have most of the items I mentioned above in your stockpile already. Pull from there to get them started.
5. Shop Online and Get Cashback - use sites like Ebates or Shortcuts to shop for gifts online and get cash back on your purchase. These sites also offer special discount codes for many sites, allowing you to get a discount or free shipping and get cash back on your order at the same time. Combine this with idea # 2 for better savings.
6. Make a Gift - if you are the creative type, then giving the new couple something from your heart will not only save you money but will probably mean a lot more to them in the long run. While we didn't have a big wedding and didn't get a lot of gifts, the gift that will always mean the most to me is a collage of our wedding done by my best friend. Whatever your creative method of choice, giving from the heart really does have an impact.