Saturday, March 26, 2011

Publix Trip: $20.05 - I wish I had a picture

With the big changes we've made this last week, it's had a big impact on the way we shop.  We've decided to incorporate a LOT more fresh fruit and veggies into our diet and, as you all know, those can get expensive.  My husband's first instinct after last week's $30 Kroger trip was to up our budget. I felt (and still feel) like we can do this without changing our budget.  Granted, I've yet to stay exactly within the $50/wk budget but I'm getting closer and closer.  Last night we went to Publix and picked up a few sale items and a whole lotta produce and managed to spend only $20.  He's pretty set on exactly what he wants to eat but I'm a little more flexible, so I tried to look at what was on sale.  The four things he HAS to have are apples, grapefruit, celery & cucumber.

Here's what we got for that $20


Green Beans (packaged) = $1.41
2lb white seedless grapes (on sale for $1.69lb) = $3.36
Bag of Red Grapefruit (on sale) = $2.99
Celery = $1.49
Bag of Granny Smith apples = $4.99
Cucumber = $1.99 (on sale)
Package Strawberries (on sale 3/$5) = $1.67
Sliced Mushrooms (on sale) = $1.69
2 packages Kraft shredded cheese @ 2/$4 = $4
4 Kraft chunk cheese @ 2/$4 = $8
1 Weight Watchers Ice Cream bars @$4.89 BOGO = $2.45
Egglands Best Eggs @$2.59

=$36.63 (after sale discounts)
-$4/$40 Kroger Q
-$.50/1 Egglands Best (doubled)
-$1/1 Weight Watchers ice cream bars
-(2)$.55/1 Kraft Cheese
-(3)$1.50/2 Kraft Cheese (Target Q)
-(3)$1.50/2 Kraft Cheese (Publix Q)
-$1/1 Kraft Cheese
$1/1 (I have no clue what this was).

=$18.53 + tax = $20.05

As we were ringing out the guy bagging asked the other guy about the Publix Q for the Kraft Cheese, because it says "retailer coupon" but rings as a "manufacturer coupon". The guy ringing me is a csm (and my favorite cashier) and he said that yes it was a manufacturer Q but it didn't beep so he took them all. He still had another q to scan as he was saying this and I mentioned that it might not go through because I may have too many then. He said it scanned so no issue.  Cool!

Looking back at this, that's still a lot of produce for just $20 and we got the cheese basically free!

No comments:

Post a Comment