Sunday, March 6, 2011

Cooking From My Stockpile : Shephard's Pie

I love Shephard's Pie and always have, but I'm terrible with making anything to do with gravy.  So I was so happy when I ran across this recipe the other day.  So this is what we are having for dinner tonight, all using items from our stockpile.  I'm making mashed potatoes from scratch using potatoes I got FREE at Publix several weeks ago (we cut them up and froze them).  Granted, I also have plenty of packets of instant mashed potatoes on hand that I could have used.

Shephard's Pie
1 bag mixed frozen veggies
1lb hamburger (or ground turkey or chicken)
1 lb potatoes (boiled and mashed) or mashed potatoes from a box
1 jar Heinz beef gravy
1/2 cup diced onion
1/4 cup cheese (shredded or velveeta)

Brown the ground meat and onion.  Add the veggies and stir.  Cook for a couple of minutes to let the veggies thaw.  Add the gravy and mix.  Let simmer for about 5 minutes.  Pour it all in a casserole dish and top with mashed potatoes and cheese.  Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes or until potatoes are golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment