Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Kroger Mega Sale & Why I did a Special Order

Reader Lisa asked me to explain more about the sale at Kroger and what the deal was that I got.  Kroger does what they refer to as a "MEGA" Sale about every 3 months (at least from what I can tell since I've been paying attention).  Normally, when they do these they just offer $5 off your total for every 10 participating items that you purchase.  However, the current sale is a little different.  They are advertising it as the "Daytona Mega" sale on conjunction with the Daytona 500.

This time around instead of offering $5 off for every 10 items purchased, they are only offering $3.  However, they are also giving out a $3 coupon good off your next Kroger purchase.  Effectively, this gives you $6 for every 10 items purchased.  The coupons are printed at the time of purchase and you do get 1 coupon good for $3 off your next order, for every 10 participating items that you purchase.

When we went in on Sunday we purchased 40 participating items (all Gatorade and Campbell's Chunky soup).  The deals we were getting were:

Gatorade on sale for .99 each
Campbell's Chunky Soup on sale for $1.59
-I'm using the .50/2 Chunky soup coupons (which double at Kroger to $1/2), bringing the price down to $1.09/bowl.

-Then for every 10 items purchased we got $3 off our total). 
So with 40 items, we got $12 off our total purchase.  (bringing the effective price down to .69/bottle on the Gatorade and .79/bowl on the soup.

Then we received (4) $3 coupons good off our next purchase.

Since my husband eats this soup every day for lunch I wanted to seriously stock up.   I had a choice, I could either hit every Kroger in the area and wipe them out of soup multiple times, or I could attempt to do a special order.  I decided to do the latter and am quite happy (so far) with how that's worked out.  I rolled the $12 in coupons we received Sunday into the purchase I made today (50 bowls of soup).  So after the Manufacturer Qs, Mega Sale discount and the $12 in store Qs from Sunday, I paid about $30 for 50 bowls of soup and got back another $15 in coupons to be used on my next order.

When it's all said and done I will have purchased 114 bowls of soup for about $68 (before tax) and still walk away with $15 in store coupons to use on my next purchase.  That (IMO) is a heck of a deal!

For the record, there are hundreds of items included in this sale, but there were really only the two that we really need to stock up on at this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment