Tuesday, January 4, 2011

HUGE Prescription Savings @ CostCo

One of my plans to cut our costs going into the new year was to reduce the amount we pay on prescriptions. I have quite a few and my insurance is funky, which means that I pay for my prescriptions up front and then get reimbursed for 80% of the cost.  You'd think this little fact would have been enough to make me shop around a long time ago but I really didn't think there was much of a difference on prescription prices.

My original plan had been to determine whether CVS or Rite Aid had the better deal since they bother offer Rewards programs that would give me a little back.  However, after calling them both I found they wasn't much of a difference.  Then I called Publix and found there wasn't much difference there either.  At some point in this process I thought to call CostCo.  We are members there and have the Executive Membership (which pays you back 2% of what you spend at the end of the year - the minimum pay back is the $50 upcharge fee for the Executive Membership - so there's really no reason NOT to upgrade).

I didn't even have to call CostCo, they have the prices for most of their prescriptions listed ONLINE!  Who knew?! I sure didn't.  I clicked around and found the prices for some of my highest priced prescriptions and quickly found that I would be saving a ton by going to them.  On one prescription alone the price was cut from around $200/mo to about $100/mo (50%!).  Most of the others didn't have savings that were nearly as high but they were still savings.  So I loaded up my prescriptions and headed to CostCo.  I had 6 that needed filled very soon, 3 of which would normally run me about $500.  My total for 6 prescriptions came in at $378!

Then add to that that we will get 2% back at the end of the year, and just on prescriptions alone we'll get back a check worth around $100.

No comments:

Post a Comment