Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Weight Watching on a Budget

Today is Day 2 of my SERIOUS effort to really start shrinking my size without shrinking our wallet.  Yesterday, I did rejoin Weight Watchers.  I've success with their online program in the past and knew it would be worth taking another look at, even though it would cost me a bit.  They are running a deal right now that if you sign up for 3 months, you save about $24.  I figured this would give me enough time to get working on things again and get back in some good habits.

Step 2 of changing things is getting back into a good exercise routine.  The last time we made a household decision for positive changes in our health and weight, we joined a local gym and found a trainer.  Unfortunately, I got sick just a few months in and had to drop out of training.  This time around we aren't willing to spend that kind of money, so I'm going to use what I have.

Wii - We have the Wii and the Wii Fit Plus.  While I enjoy playing the games on the Wii Fit Plus and I know it can be somewhat of a workout, it feels like you end up wasting too much time in between exercises.  So, I'll probably use it some, but there are better ways, even on the Wii.

DanceDanceRevolution Hottest Party 3 - if you've never played this, you are missing a fun workout.  I like to dance so this works for me. Even better, I picked up this game with the dance pad on sale on Amazon just before Christmas last year and got the whole thing for under $25. 

EA Sports Active 2 - I actually have the original one. We bought it back when we bought the Wii and I've barely used it.  It is an excellent workout.  This is what I did today and burned about 107 calories in 25 minutes.  Granted it's not much better of a workout than just hopping on the treadmill for the same amount of time, but I felt like I worked up more of a sweat than I would on the treadmill and I got a more even workout.

Speaking of The Treadmill - we have one of those and I do actually use it.  I find the only way I will use it is if it's in the living room facing the TV.  Lately, however, I've gotten into watching a few shows on Hulu, and I've found I can set my laptop up on the magazine rack of my treadmill and watch shows while I walk.  I like to watch "Biggest Loser" while I walk, it motivates me.

So these are my tools by which I hope to lose some weight without losing my wallet.  I woke up this morning to an infomercial for "Insanity", which looks like a great workout and a lot of fun.  Infomercial price was about $120.  I'm still considering it somewhat, but I think I'll check out Ebay and see if someone is maybe selling their used copy.  What can I say, I've gone cheap!

No comments:

Post a Comment