Saturday, March 5, 2011

CONFESSION: I Really Don't "Get" Rolling Rewards

I keep trying to get a handle on this idea of rolling register rewards at Walgreens.  They limit RR to one per transaction (on a like item) AND you can't turn around and use that RR to buy the same item and then get another RR.

I tried it again today.  They have a RR deal this week on both the Gillette ProFusion razor and the Schick Hydro.

Gillette ProFusion - $9.99 (get $4RR)
- $4 coupon
= pay $5.99 (get back $4RR)

Schick Hydro - $8.99 (get $6RR)
-$2 coupon
= pay $6.99 (get $6 RR)

So I had figured out I'd have to alternate transaction, buying one razor in one transaction then buying the other.  The problem came in when I remembered that Walgreens also has a coupon policy that limits you to using only as many coupons as you have items.  So since I wanted to use the MQ and the RR, I needed two items in each transaction. I'd originally planned to buy 2 of each razor. So we found some cheap candy (and hubby wanted an ice cream bar).  I was starting off with a $5RR I earned last week.  So....

Transaction 1
Gillette Fusion $9.99
Walgreens Ice Cream Sandwich .99
- $4 Fusion coupon
-$5 RR
= $2.86 (received $4RR)

Transaction 2
Schick Hydro $8.99
Candy .59
-$2 Schick coupon
-$4RR
=$3.58 (got back $6RR)

Transaction 3
Gillette Fusion $9.99
Candy .79 (just realized they over-charged me, this was on clearance for .37)
-$4 Gillette coupon
-$6RR
=$1.64 (got back $4RR)

So in total OOP, I spent $8.08 and got back $4 in RR. 

I don't feel like I did as well as I should have.  While I'm not good at the whole "rolling" concept regardless of which drugstore I'm shopping, Walgreens seems to throw me more than the others because of the way they do their limits.

No comments:

Post a Comment