Saturday, December 25, 2010

Saving Money: Making Your Own Scented Bath Salts

If you enjoy a hot bath like I do, then you'll like this little frugal tip.
After spending way too much on scented bath salts, I decided to give making my own a try, and found that it's much much cheaper (and you get exactly the scents you want). Here's what it takes:

  • Epsom Salt (I usually buy the bags of Walgreens brand - with a sale it's the cheapest of any source I've found, however I've been stocking up when they do go on sale).
  • Baking Soda - you can pick up the small boxes for just .75 and can pretty much always find coupons online to save .50 when you buy 2 (any size). If your grocery store doubles this means you can get 2 small boxes for just .50
  • Scented Essential Oils - You can probably find these online cheaper but I pick them up at Hobby Lobby for around $6/bottle.
  • Sea Salt - I buy this by the bucket at Hobby Lobby as well. It runs around $8/bucket but I usually buy it when I have a 40% off coupon.
Find a large container (any large container with a lid will work) and add the following amounts:
  • 2 cups Epsom salts
  • 1 cup Sea salt
  • 1 Tbs baking soda
Once you add all the above, shake the container to get all the ingredients well blended. Once they are well blended, add 10-12 drops of essential oils (you can combine scents as you like) and shake the mixture again to get the oils well distributed.  I like to leave my salts to sit and absorb the scent(s) for a couple of days before using them.

My favorite scent combination is Eucalyptus Spearmint, to do this I use about 6-8 drops of each Essential Oil.  If you have a larger container you can double the recipe above or increase it as your container allows.  The above amounts will make enough for about 4 baths.

You can also turn these into a great gift for any purpose by packing them in pretty bottles or jars.

No comments:

Post a Comment