Wednesday, December 22, 2010

The $25 Stocking pt 2

Another blog asked how to keep costs down on filling a stocking, and as I started replying I realized that I hadn't shared these ideas here. It's not too late to start planning for next year!

- Swagbucks - Trade in your points for gift cards or other items your kids might like (or your wife or hubby)

- Free Credits to Daily Deal sites - most daily deal sites offer free credits when you sign up. Swirl by Daily Candy, One Kings Lane & Modnique are all sites that I've used the free credits on to garner some pretty cool stuff, some of which became gifts. You may have to pay shipping, but you'll make up for it on the great deal you'll get on the item(s).

- Drugstore deals - every week I post about great deals at the various drug stores on anything from candy to cologne. These items are great stocking stuffers if you can hang onto them long enough to get them in the stocking.

- More Daily Deals - Tanga has some awesome cheap prices on items like t-shirts and other fun items that would be great as stocking stuffers.

- Groupon - I can't wrap my head around the idea of giving a Groupon as a gift on its own, but as part of a larger gift (like a stuffed stocking, or a gift basket) I think it's a great idea and there have been some great ones in our area that would make awesome gifts.  Ok, the more I think about it, there have been some awesome ones that would make great gifts on their own (like flying lessons and skydiving), but for stocking stuffers I'm thinking the smaller ones like 3 Redbox rentals for $1 or 50% a gift certificate to one of their favorite online stores.  And for those types of deals you don't even have to be in the city where they were listed.

The real is key is not waiting till the last minute on stocking stuffers (or any gifts for that matter). Waiting just makes it cost more. Plan ahead and put things away for gifts later.

No comments:

Post a Comment